Wednesday 18 February 2009

A Real Drink With The Locals

This dodgy old place was so me...


I have always had some special ability to the find the gutter, to find the worse places to be in, what some people might call the lowest of the low. So to be truthful, it wasn't that surprising when yesterday I found myself in a dingy dirty old drinking den.

Drinking alcohol is frowned upon in Kerala, although tourists are allowed to drink. Shops selling alcohol are few and far between, and bars even less common. It's not like Goa at all.

Walking from the gym though I passed a sign on the road indicating towards some dodgy hotel and its bar. A continuous stream of men, mostly on their own, were walking, like possessed souls, in it's direction. So i joined them.

The bar is located in some old hotel that's really seen better days, and its clientele are mostly the same that you'll find in any dark bar anywhere in the world. Lonely people burning their candle at both sides. So in I went, sitting at the back, at the last table, drinking away the afternoon.

From time to time I got up and refilled my rum with soda, until the soda run out. I sat there listening to some old sad jazz, which somehow seemed very appropiate, though my ipod looked a bit out of place. The green plastic corregated skylight gave the place an even more depressing atmosphere, the cheap fans simply moving the stale air around and around, like some scene from a B movie...

Eventually when the soda did run out and I couldn't drink the bootleg rum neat, I left.

Outside I found a rum casualty...

Maybe it would be better if i didn't put myself in these situations...

No comments:

Post a Comment